In Case of Stray Voltage, Hire a Qualified Electrician
It’s finally here: the pool is open! Family and friends have gathered around, ready to take a refreshing swim and enjoy your famous BBQ. However, something seems to dampen the mood, as some of your guests are complaining of experiencing a tingling shock when they contact the pool’s handrails as they get out of the water, or when sitting on the pool deck with their feet in the water.
What could be causing this? Assuming the “shocks” are not the result of faulty wiring or equipment, they are most likely the result of Neutral-to-Earth Voltage (NEV).
NEVs are natural, and normally exist between the grounded equipment or “conductor,” and local earth or metal structure around the pool that is not grounded. However certain conditions, such as the pool’s wiring not meeting national standards, corroded parts due to salt or chlorine exposure, or even a piece of equipment that is not properly grounded can aggravate the situation, translating into those annoying shocks.
Additional settings where NEV shocks (also known as stray voltage) may occur include hot tubs, sink faucets, outside hose faucets, boat decks, and street light poles. Even farm animals making contact with farmstead milking, feeding or watering equipment can experience these tingling shocks.
At the end of the day, the best way to prevent NEV shocks is to have a qualified, licensed electrician perform any kind of electrical work at your home, farm or business, and perform regular maintenance on your electrical systems. If you believe you are experiencing issues due to NEVs, contact the Choptank Electric Cooperative Member Service Center at 1-877-892-0001 for additional information regarding NEV testing and NEVs in general.